OK, so here’s all the CDs I bought (and received as gifts) this year. Yes, there are 67 of them, yes I am a music whore. If it helps, I paid very rarely paid full price for them, most are used or amazon deals. Not all though, sometimes you just have to take it in the ass for $17.
This should give you an idea about what I think is worth buying… some of it was catch up for things I’ve heard but just never got around to buying (Interpol, Replacements, Shins, Sheila Divine, Joe Strummer), some were oddities to fill in my collection (Pixies singles, Lifter Puller, Fire Theft), some were genuine new finds for me (National, Summer Hymns, Favorite Sons, The Crush, The Long Blondes,), and the rest was probably new releases from bands I like.
|Arcade Fire, The||Neon Bible|
|Armstrong, Tim||A Poet’s Life|
|Black, Frank||Black Francis – Bluefinger|
|Bloc Party||Weekend in the City|
|Brothers Martin, The||The Brothers Martin|
|Built to Spill||Caustic Resin|
|Built to Spill||Keep it Like a Secret|
|Built to Spill||There’s Nothing Wrong with Love|
|Crush, The||Here Is Wher I Cross My Fingers|
|Crush, The||Tonight will Ruin Tomorrow|
|Dillinger Four||Midwestern Songs of the Americas|
|Dillinger Four||situationist comedy|
|Dillinger Four||This Shit is Genius|
|Dillinger Four||Versus God|
|Editors||An End has a Start|
|Editors||The Back Room|
|Face to Face||Standards & Practices|
|Favourite Sons||Down Beside Your Beauty|
|Fire Theft, The||The Fire Theft|
|Havalina||Space, Love & Bullfighting|
|Interpol||Our Love to Admire|
|Interpol||Turn on the Bright Lights|
|Kozelek, Mark||Little Drummer Boy – Live|
|Lifter Puller||Fiestas + Fiascos|
|Lifter Puller||Half Dead & Dynamite|
|Long Blondes, The||Someone to Drive you Home|
|Luxury||Health & Sport|
|Me First & the Gimme Gimmes||Love Their Country|
|Miss Argentina||Yes I Am No You Can’t|
|Modest Mouse||We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank|
|Morella’s Forest||Tiny Lights of Heaven|
|National, The||Cherry Tree EP|
|National, The||Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers|
|National, The||The National|
|Pixies||Alec Eiffel [single]|
|Pixies||Dig for Fire [single]|
|Pixies||Here Comes Your Man [single]|
|Pixies||Monkey Gone to Heaven [single]|
|Rae, Corinne Bailey||Corinne Bailey Rae|
|Rentals, The||The Last Little Life EP|
|Sheila Divine, The||Secret Society EP|
|Sheila Divine, The||The Sheila Divine EP|
|Shins, The||Chutes Too Narrow|
|Shins, The||Oh, Inverted World|
|Shins, The||Wincing the Night Away|
|Son Volt||The Search|
|Springsteen, Bruce||Live in Dublin|
|Springsteen, Bruce||We Shall Overcome – The Seeger Sessions|
|Strummer, Joe||Global A Go-Go|
|Summer Hymns||A Celebratory Arms Gesture|
|Summer Hymns||Backward Masks|
|Summer Hymns||Value Series Vol 1: Fool’s Gold [ep]|
|Summer Hymns||Voice Brother and Sister|
|Tegan & Sara||The Con|
|Tiger Army||Music from Regions Beyond|
|Weakerthans, The||Reunion Tour|
|Wilco||Sky Blue Sky|
- The Brothers Martin – I was really bummed about this one, possibly the worst album I bought this year. Of course, that’s not saying much, since I only buy good albums ;). Still, maybe I’ve just grown tired of Ronnie’s techno-synth stuff over the years, I don’t know, nothing on this album really hit for me, and there was at least one song that really annoys me (I think it was “The Deaf, They will Hear”).
- Summer Hymns – Nothing stellar on these discs, but when I heard the frontman for Joe Christmas (one of my all time favorites) had another band, I had to pick them up. No biggie, I got all but one for like $2-5 on Amazon.
- Wilco – Sky Blue Sky – Coming back a bit from the silly experimentalism that was the last album, this one is still too avant garde to be very interesting to me. It’s not bad, and more listenable/likeable than the last, but just not nearly as good as Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and everything before it.
Better than I expected:
- Bloc Party – The first album, while good, is hit or miss for me listen-wise, but this one is great, it’s still in rotation.
- The Crush – These guys are great! Too bad they are no more. Such is the way of things.
- The National – Thanks to Andy for turning me on to these days. I copied the Boxer from him, then went on to buy all their albums. Excellent driving, working, whatever music.
- Springsteen – Magic – With all the hype around this one about its “retro-Springsteen” flavor, I kind of expected it to suck. I was very pleased to find that it didn’t.